Tuesday, April 7, 2009

A Brief Warning About Magnesium Supplements

As I mentioned in my earlier post about magesium glycinate, this supplement seems to work wonders against PVCs. And like all magnesium supplements, it provides a useful level of relief of musculoskeletal aches and pains. I'm not sure why, but there is plenty of literature about this, and it certainly seems to work for me. Finally, if it functions like dietary magnesium, then it's also neuroprotective, although I'm not certain as to equivalance in this case. (Although, I have heard that brain surgeons occasionally recommend magnesium supplementation prior to surgery, as a means of prophylactically minimizing damage to healthy neurons.)

However, overdoses of magnesium in any form can cause arrhythmias, hypotension, and confusion. The National Institutes of Health puts the tolerable upper intake at just 350mg for adults. This would be exceeded by a single dose of KAL 400mg (2 tablets of 200mg each). And of course, don't forget to include the amount in your vitamin pill. Note, however, that the NIH article linked above does not place a limit on dietary, as opposed to supplemental, magnesium. This is probably because the body absorbs dietary magnesium much more slowly, resulting in minimal disruption to homeostatis.

Anyway, this is just a quick reminder to not think of supplemental magnesium -- or any supplement, for that matter -- as always better in higher doses. Still, the tolerable upper intake is only a one-size-fits-all advisory for people with all manner of physiological differences. Use it as a guide, but take more or less depending on how you feel, discussion with your doctor, and relevant medical tests. In moderation, it confers significant benefits to many MVP sufferers. It may also positively affect MVPS, considering its involvement with the nervous system.

Fundamentally, I never take magnesium supplements unless I have PVCs or intolerable chest pain. I prefer, when possible, to obtain my nutrients from food. I don't want to train my body to depend on supplements (other than a few super supplements that I must take every day, such as resveratrol, which perhaps I'll discuss in a later post).

Oh, if you're wondering why I thought to write this post, it's because I discovered a long time ago that high amounts of magnesium supplementation seemed to dull my shortterm memory for a few days thereafter. I researched, and found the likely cause.

Finally, as with other supplements which disrupt electrolyte balance, I suggest taking it in tiny nibbles, waiting for 5 to 20 minutes in between. And of course, don't forget that cardiovascular exercise is one of the best ways to keep your heart rhythm in sync, and to lower your dependence on supplements.

1 comment:

  1. Mike, is this blog still active? I am looking for resources to link my MVP page to, but don't want to link to it if it's been abandoned.

    Contact me at mvpsyndrome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete